Friday, 21 January 2011

Electrical - What are my responsibilities if I own my home?

If you own your home, it is recommended that you:
  • arrange for an electrical inspection (known as a periodic inspection report) to be carried out every ten years.
  • don’t create possible dangers by overloading sockets, and never ignore warning signs like burning smells, sounds of arcing (buzzing or crackling), fuses blowing or circuit-breakers tripping.
  • make sure all electrical equipment in your home is maintained and used properly (in accordance to the manufacturer’s instructions).
You should also ensure all repair and installation work is safe and meets the building regulations. Always use an electrician registered with one of the Government-approved schemes. Registered electricians will work to the UK national standard BS 7671 (requirements for electrical installations), and will issue you with a safety certificate to confirm that their work has been designed, built, inspected and tested in line with that standard. They will also arrange for you to receive a certificate that confirms the work meets the building regulations. The five Government-approved schemes are:

No comments:

Post a Comment