Monday, 1 August 2011

Electrical Safety

The electrical wiring and appliances in your home carry a risk of electric shock or fire if they are not fitted and maintained well, or used correctly. In modern wiring, you will have a Distribution Board (DB) with Residual Current Devices (RCDs) and Miniature Circuit Breakers (MCBs) and sockets with switches. The RCDs protect you from the worst effects of electric shock by stopping power quickly if there is a leak to 'earth', which might be through you. Landlords should have an electrical safety certificate, which is usually renewed after five years. The certificate is a requirement for all except the smallest properties. Electrical appliances should be safety tested every year, should always have the correct fuses, and should be visually checked for damage, worn cables etc.
Key Advice:
  • Ask your landlord for the Electrical Safety Certificate when you move in and check that any work listed on the certificate has actually been carried out. Ask us for advice if you have any doubts.
  • Do not overload sockets by plugging multiple adaptors in, use UK adaptors and appliances and do not attempt to alter or repair any wiring yourselves.

Further information: Government advice about electrical appliance safety:

 up to 700W = 3 Amp 700W - 1KW - 5 Amp Over 1KW - 13 Amp

No comments:

Post a Comment