A candle may be all-romantic and stuff, but it is a naked flame and source of ignition in your house.
Using candles safely
- Always place your candles/tea lights in a suitable fire resistant candleholder
- Make sure the candleholder holds the candle/tea light firmly and is on a flat and stable surface to stop it falling over.
- Always put the candleholder on a heat resistant surface like a ceramic plate (tea lights can melt plastic surfaces such as the top of a television or the side of a bath).
- Always leave at least 10cm (four inches) between burning candles/tea lights and never place them under shelves or other enclosed spaces. Keep candles/tea lights, matches and lighters out of the reach of children and pets.
- Keep candles/tea lights away from curtains, furniture and anything else that can catch fire. Keep loose clothing and hair away from candles/tea lights when they are lit.
Why did the Rudolph cross the road?
Because he was tied to the chicken!