In June last year, police at San Diego International Airport noticed a passenger's bag was smoking as it journeyed around the carousel.
Inside, a lithium-ion battery had touched a screwdriver and both had melted.
In September 2012, a flight attendant and two passengers were burned when they handled a mobile phone and spare battery that overheated during a flight.
In April 2012 a lithium battery inside someone's personal air purifier caught fire at 28,000ft.
The Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) report says "a flight attendant described a shooting fire from a passenger's device at about the same time that the captain felt a small thud".