A landlord has been fined in excess of £10,000 by Ealing Magistrates Court for allowing his tenants to live in a house that was unsuitable and overcrowded.
The house of multiple occupancy ( HMO ) in Southall, which was owned by Amarjit Singh, was deemed to be unclean when it was inspected by officers from Ealing Council, according to 24Dash.
It transpired the property had damaged fire doors, while there was no working smoke alarm present on the premises.
An order was served to Mr Singh in June 2012, when the officers noted the property had been divided into six rented rooms and was in a state unsuitable to be let.
When they returned two months later, it turned out the landlord had not only failed to adhere to the orders, but also had rented out a further two rooms to tenants. This meant the property was then overcrowded.
Officers noted broken windows in the tenants' rooms on this second visit, as well as the aforementioned fire safety issues.
Mould was present on the ceiling and on the walls of the kitchen, while mice and cockroaches were found in the property. In addition, the bathrooms were deemed to be filthy.
Mr Singh was made to pay a total of £10,220, having been convicted of 11 offences. He was commanded to pay £6,750 in fines, £3,350 in costs and a £120 victim surcharge fee.