Figures obtained by the Press Association earlier this month revealed that e-cigarettes or related equipment, including chargers, were involved in more than 100 fires in less than two years.
Ministers outlined measures to boost awareness of the safest practices when using the technology.
The Department for Business, Innovation and Skills has commissioned a number of trading standards departments to investigate whether current safety information is sufficient and widely available enough to consumers.
Trading Standards are to look at what information is currently available to consumers and to explore whether we need to do more to make sure there is enough guidance to help them stay safe.
It comes after the Local Government Association, which represents all 46 fire authorities in England and Wales, called for safety messages to be displayed on e-cigarette kits.
The Government also published advice to help the estimated 2.1 million Britons using e-cigarettes to do so safely.
The tips include:
- :: Ensure that e-cigarettes are not left charging for long periods of time.
- :: Do not leave e-cigarettes plugged in overnight or when you are out of the house.
- :: Look for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with European safety standards.
Data from 43 fire services provided following a freedom of information request showed earlier this month that since 2012 they had attended 113 calls to fires related to e-cigarette equipment.
The figures indicated that brigades were attending incidents involving the technology at a rate of around one a week.
From the services that provided data, e-cigarettes were cited as being involved in eight fires in 2012, rising to 43 last year, while there have been at least 62 so far this year.
In August, David Thomson, 62, was killed when an e-cigarette on charge exploded and ignited oxygen equipment he was believed to have been using.
It was thought to be the first fatality from a fire involving an e-cigarette in Britain. Other incidents have resulted in people being hurt or their homes being badly damaged.