Saturday, 25 June 2011

Bathroom safety

Water carries electricity efficiently. When the two mix, the result can
kill. Because of this, from an electrical safety point of view, the
bathroom is possibly the most dangerous room in the home. The
consequences of an electric shock are far more severe in a bathroom
or shower room as wet skin reduces the body's resistance. There are
special requirements for electrical installations in bathrooms.
• Sockets are not allowed in bathrooms or shower rooms (apart
from shaver-supply units).
• Shaver-supply units must be a safe distance from the bath or
shower to avoid splashes.
• Never bring mains-powered portable appliances such as hairdryers,
heaters or radios into a bathroom. You could be severely injured or
die. You can get a fixed hairdryer with hot air delivered through a
flexible plastic pipe installed in bathrooms.
• Enclosed ceiling lights are preferable to pendant (ones that hang
down) light fittings. All other light fittings must be out of reach, or
enclosed to keep water out.

No comments:

Post a Comment