Friday, 10 May 2013


Homeowners attempting to have a go at DIY are being urged to think again after an over-enthusiastic householder botched a job which knocked £20,000 off the value of his neighbours’ homes and left his own property derelict.

NICEIC, the UK’s leading regulatory body for the electrical contracting industry, is reminding homeowners that most electrical work carried out in the home still needs to meet the requirements of building regulations.

However, research carried out by NICEIC shows that nearly two-thirds (63%) of homeowners would happily have a go at home improvements themselves rather than employ a qualified electrician.
Worse still, the survey also showed that only 22% of UK consumers have actually heard of Part P of the Building Regulations.

Tony Cable at NICEIC said: “People are far too casual about electrics in the home, especially in the current economic climate when it is tempting to try to save a few pennies where possible.
“What many fail to realise is that by attempting to do DIY electrics they could be putting their family’s lives at risk. Also, without the right electrical safety certificates, they may face difficulty when it comes to selling their home.”

If a homeowner is determined to have a go themselves, the work must be notified to a local authority building control department who can inspect the finished job. Either way a certificate will be presented to confirm the work is safe.

With around 12,500 house fires, 750 serious injuries and 10 deaths caused by unsafe electrics in the home each year, this laidback attitude to electrical work presents a major cause for concern. In particular, installing electrical appliances outdoors is even more hazardous because of the presence of water and damp conditions.

Homeowners can find qualified electricians in their area at - guess what! we are listed :)

No comments:

Post a Comment