Sunday, 3 August 2014

Hairdryer which fell off radiator caused a fire...

A hairdryer which was left plugged in while its owner went shopping sparked a fire which severely damaged a ground-floor flat.

Firefighters were called to the blaze at Bishops Walk, Aylesbury. It left the bedroom what Bucks Fire and Rescue described as ‘60%’ damaged by fire, with smoke damage throughout the property.

The Fire service is now reminding people of the importance of switching off and unplugging hairdryers and other electrical goods when they are not being used.

Watch Manager Jamie Humphrey said it appeared the hairdryer had fallen to the floor, knocking its switch to the ‘on’ position.

Once the fire had been extinguished and on investigation, it was clear that a hairdryer had been the cause of the fire.

The owner had used the hairdryer then placed it on a storage heater, leaving it plugged in. She had then gone shopping in the town centre for about 20 minutes.

lesson to be learned there - unplug it when you have finished with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment